Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Are there any City Year members in the audience?

If you look at the label inventory of my total posts and do a little math, you'll see that, with this post, the total amount of attention I've given to tea reviews on this blog is perfectly equal to how much I've mentioned Parkour, the Hanshin Tigers, and other completely unrelated subjects. In other words, this blog should be called Half-Addicted-to-Chai-and-Half-Everything-Else. Either I have blogger's ADD, or tea really does induce a contemplative state of mind that causes you to find everything wonderfully curious.
But this post isn't about that. It's about City Year.
For those of you who have never heard of City Year, it's a ten-month full-time tutoring program in which young adults work with kids and communities to generally make the city a better place to live. Blah blah blah. OK, so the point is, I think I'd like to do it next year.
There's one problem. I've never done this sort of thing--I mean volunteering, community service, tutoring, anything like that. Sure, I've worked with kids a lot and love them, and I'd also love to contribute to society somehow, but it just seems like a huge commitment right now. So if there are any current corps members or alumni reading this by any chance please feel free to post any advice you have. As an alternative, you can contact me at gold_tangerine@hotmail.com.
At any rate, I'll try to be more focused on the hot stuff from here on in.

No comments: